Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Sunday, March 6, 2011

Tutorial: Making American Girl Doll Tights

I was looking at a mess on my dresser last evening when a lone knee sock struck me with an amazingly-easy-to-execute idea. I told one of my daughters to "quick! go get your American Girl doll!" I realized the width of my adult sized knee sock was the American Girl Doll waist width. I made 3 pair of tights from knee socks in about 30 minutes. I thought I'd post how easy it was here. My apologies, the pictures are awful, but you'll forgive me when you see how easy this is!


you'll need:
  • An adult sized knee sock,
  • thread
  • sewing machine
  • scissors
  • ruler
First:  Turn your sock inside out (if you forget it's ok, if they are solid color socks they'll look fine, and to be honest I forgot on this pair!)

Step two: Cut straight across removing the "foot" part of the sock

Step Three: measure 3 inches from top of sock and mark with a pin
Step four: Sew down the almost center from the pin twice, leaving about 1/2" in between your sewing lines so you can easily cut in between the lines you've sewn. At the bottom, curve your sewing line outward.

Step Five: sew the 1/2" space connecting the TOP of your lines.

Step Six: Cut up the center and around the feet.

Turn right side out and you have yourself some dolly tights!
Front
back


variations: tights with runners could work almost just as easily (even kids tights!) but you'll have to adjust the tutorial a bit to sew yourself a waist.

27 comments:

PrettyCoolShops said...

awesome idea!

AubreyB said...

Found this on pinterest and just tried it - so easy and so cute! Thanks!

AubreyB said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

I feel all famous for being pinned!! it really is super easy, and what a great use for those socks that have one little toe hole:)

Liz said...

Just tried this out today (also found you on pinterest) and love, love, LOVE how it turned out! Thanks for sharing your awesome ideas.

Jen said...

Liz, thanks for commenting! I was rather blissful that this had been 'pinned' SO happy it is helping so many make dolly tights galore. I was also thinking of trying it for elastic waist pajama pants...

SDCMama said...

Please do it for elastic waist pajamas and post! :) I also found you through Pinterest!

niecesandnephews said...

I do this too--kids tights are easy to do too---cut the same, leaving the three inches at the top. use the waistband of the tights ti finish off the waist ---2-3 pair of doll tights per kid pair

Jody B said...

Brilliant! Seriously!!!!!! Thanks for sharing. :-)

Anonymous said...

I can't wait to try this! I make doll tutu's and have been searching for a tight pattern..this will be so much easier!

Sylver said...

this is a great way to make the tites. I have made them and it works really good,I have found thatthe adult ladies thin boot socks work better , they have more stretch. and a ood way to get riede of old socks.

Unknown said...

Genius!! Great tutorial!! Thanks so much for sharing.

Anonymous said...

this was such a great idea ,it turned out great and so easy Thanks!

Anonymous said...

LOVE! (Pinterest score!)

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I found this and jumped up immediately to try it! I didn't have any socks, but my daughter had a pair of leggings that no longer fit her. With some adjustments (cut legs and sewed a hem to make a waist), I made two pairs of for "Sarah". Thanks again!

Anonymous said...

THANK YOU SO MUCH! I found this and jumped up immediately to try it! I didn't have any socks, but my daughter had a pair of leggings that no longer fit her. With some adjustments (cut legs and sewed a hem to make a waist), I made two pairs of for "Sarah". Thanks again!

CBB said...

Great idea! Thanks so much for the tutorial.

Unknown said...

I love this!! A+++

Manderz said...

Awesome idea that I will have to try soon. I've been looking for 6.5" American Girl Doll patterns. I've designed a few myself. Maybe I can try this with a smaller sock for the mini doll. I found you through: http://withglitteringeyes.blogspot.com/2012/12/my-secret-sewing-american-girl-dress.html

Boot Socks said...

I realized the width of my adult sized knee sock was the American Girl Doll waist width. I made 3 pair of tights from knee socks in about 30 minutes. ... bootsocks.blogspot.com

Knee High Boot Socks said...

I realized the width of my adult sized knee sock was the American Girl Doll waist width. I made 3 pair of tights from knee socks in about 30 minutes. ... akneehighbootsocks.blogspot.com

Rebecca said...

Unable to wrap my head around step 4 and step 5 with out pictures. Would LOVE to try this with xmas coming up and my santa's workshop of doll clothes making. Is there maybe a you tube video?

Rebecca said...

Hahaha!! Okay, think I just got it! I'm super visual so it's hard for me to turn words into a visualization. Sew a vertical inseam. I read it as sewing horizontally across the waistband area. Thanks much!!

Anonymous said...

I just made a pair of tights for my doll from a knee sock. They came out great. Now I am going to make some for my granddaughter's dolls. Thank you so much for sharing this idea.

dzzylzz said...

amazing,, great idea... looking for items to make for my granddaughters 2 A.G dolls

Anonymous said...

This is great! I am so appalled at the price AG DOLL CLOTHES!Thank you

Anonymous said...

I just saw this and remembered that I had cleaned out my sock drawer but hadn't taken the box to donate yet. I retrieved 20 pair to make tights and sweAters, socks, underclothes, swimsuits and leotards. And I haven't even bought the doll yet. It's a Christmas present for my granddaughter. Thanks.