Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Thursday, March 24, 2011

A Letter to my School's Staff

Hello,
I wanted to take this opportunity to express how grateful I am that the school my peanut allergic daughter attends has been so supportive and compassionate. I thank you all immensely for making the classrooms and cafeteria a safe environment for Ruby to learn and eat without fear, or ridicule. If it was not for your support I do not believe the community of parents would be so supportive and I thank you for this as well.
In light of the story topping the news this morning,
I am proud that my children attend your school, and can’t express the gratitude I feel that we are not in a situation like the one in Edgewater Florida. I feel awful for that poor little girl, her family, and for the children that are being taught such intolerance by the ignorance of their parents.
In our school Ruby feels normal, like any other kid in her class, with some dietary restrictions and careful hand wiping. We have made it through nearly three years with no reactions! This is something to be proud of and I sincerely thank you all for your hard work and dedication. Most of all, I thank you for caring, genuinely for my child’s health and safety. I think there is a lot to be said about a school that can show this. You can tell these kids at Taylor feel cared for as well as educated by the staff. This can only lend to a prosperous bunch of students. I have not been able to supply as many paper towels for wipes to be made this year due to financial constraints but I hope this message reaches every staff member that helps in this effort.
Please know I truly thank you.
Warmly,
Jen & family

4 comments:

Miss Val's Creations said...

It is so wonderful that Ruby's school is so understanding. I can't imagine what it is like to grow up with a food allergy. I hope she grows out of it as some children do. :) ~Val

Abbie said...

What a nice letter! All too often, parents only want to let the schools and teachers know of the negative things that are happening. It's so nice to see a positive note! Teachers work really hard and I know I always appreciated things like this.

Jen said...

Thank you both! I agree Abbie, of course I am quick to be critical when something goes a bit array with her allergy action plan, but I truly feel that this school has done a pretty darn good job and wanted them to know I feel that way. And we SO hope she'll outgrow it, but so far it's only gotten worse (more severe over the past two years) Dr's think she will be stuck with it.

Stratoz said...

thanks for celebrating the good in the world! hopefully the style at your daughter's school will become the norm.