Follow me on Pinterest

Follow Me on Pinterest

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Why you Should Make your Own Salad Dressing Recipe Honey-Cumin Salad Dressing

I fell in love with the house salad dressing at Checker's Bistro some time ago. I Could have drank shots of the stuff it was so darned good. Sadly, they took it off their menu (crazy). I went on an internet quest to find a recipe that mimics it this past Spring. I found one and have fine tuned it to my liking. I have been using this dressing on just about every salad I've eaten since Spring. You should probably try making your own salad dressing too, here are several reasons why:
  • It will have a lot less sodium than store bought
  • You'll save money 
  • It has no preservatives yet most recipes you'll find won't need stored in the refrigerator
  • You can cater the dressing to your liking
  • You know exactly what's going into your dressing, omitting things like MSG.
  • It saves on waste, those plastic/glass dressing bottles don't go into the trash/recycle bin.
  • It will only take you 5 minutes. Shopping for a bottle in the store takes longer than making it yourself!
Here's my recipe: I adapted it from this recipe I found on Epicurious.



Honey-Cumin Vinaigrette

1 Tablespoon Cumin (I use McCormick I do believe this spice companies gives you great quality)
1 Tablespoon Honey
1/3 cup Red Wine Vinegar
3/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil


Using a funnel and a glass bottle (I used a discarded Red Wine Vinegar bottle or soy sauce bottle)
Funnel Cumin into bottle, followed by honey, Vinegar & oil. shake until honey is dissolved. Store at Room Temperature for several weeks. (maybe months, I have always used mine up faster than that) Shake well before using.

No comments: