Gyro? well, honestly I have never tried a true "Gyro" with the lamb, ewww. Here is another recipe we eat regulary in my house, as always, VERY EASY. It is from the Pampered Chef 29 min or less cookbook available here . This is also a lighter version of a normal Gyro.
- 1/2 small onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped FRESH Italian Parsley
- 1 Lb 93% lean Ground Turkey
- 1/2 tsp thyme (I omit)
- 1/2 tsp salt (I omit, don't tell the husband)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp olive oil (you may need more depending on your skillet)
- 4 flat pita bread rounds (without pockets)
- peeled & Sliced cucumber and sliced tomatoes
- 1/2 cup plain non fat yogurt (I use non fat, recipe does not call for that)
- 2 garlic cloves pressed (I use about 2tsp of the minced from a jar)
- 1/8 tsp salt (I DO use this salt;)
- 2 Tbsp chopped Fresh Italian Parsley
- 1/4 cup fresh cucumber finely chopped
in small mixing bowl combine yogurt, garlic, salt and reserved parsley. Chop cucumber and add.
To finish gyros place pita bread into microwave to warm. Slice tomatoes and the rest of cucumber.
Remove Turkey loaves from oven. thinly slice lengthwise. Arrange over pita top with sauce, cucumber and tomato.